Housing Unit Takeovers (HUTs)
Housing Unit Takeovers (HUTs) (2020-2023)
PDS provided project coordination to implement and oversee the Housing Unit Takeover (HUTs) project running from September 2020 to March 2023. The need for this project was determined at a PDS meeting in early 2020 and funds were secured through a Proceeds of Crime grant through the PDS Pillar partner Peterborough Police from the Ministry of the Solicitor General. The HUTs Project focused on research, education, and the creation of a manual intended to help collate existing tools and resources as well as provide some Peterborough Kawartha-specific context for use by PDS members, regional partners, and organizations.
Project deliverables included:
- Regional assessment/environmental scan.
- Training and education for service providers, including police and landlords, and for tenants and the general public.
- Adapting, adopting, and creating various prevention tools/strategies.
- Adapting, adopting, and creating a continuum of intervention tools/strategies.
- Engaging more partners across multiple sectors.
- Enhancing holistic trauma-informed responses that focus on tenant well-being and safe housing and communities.